ST. ELIZABETH’S IS A CHILD’S HOME AWAY FROM HOME
St. Elizabeth’s Day Home is a pioneer in early childhood education and was the first childcare center of its kind when the Sisters of the Holy Family established it in downtown San Jose in 1907.
Today, St. Elizabeth’s Day Home serves children (ages 1 to 5) from a diverse range of cultural and economic backgrounds by fostering healthy social, emotional, intellectual and physical development.
QUALITY TEACHING & LEARNING
Children thrive in high quality programs. We are proud to announce that St. Elizabeth’s Day Home has been chosen as a pilot site for Race to the Top, funded through the Federal Race to the Top Early Learning Challenge. We are piloting methodology designed to establish tested protocol specifically to improve early education systems for our most vulnerable children.
- Nurture the emotional, intellectual, physical needs of the child
- Serve families from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Support the family with affordable quality childcare and provide financial assistance
- Maintain a safe, supportive, and consistent early education environment
- Partner with community resources to assist and support the family unit
- Practice the spirit of inclusiveness and serve children with special needs
Continuing the legacy of caring for families, St. Elizabeth’s Day Home and the staff members are guided by a home away from home philosophy that:
- Relates to each child as a special individual
- Respects each family’s values and belief systems
- Promotes the development of well being for the entire family through programs
- Involves parents and guardians in designing a continuum of social and academic growth for the children
- Emphasizes the importance of the first five years of learning
NAEYC is the largest organization of early childhood educators and others dedicated to improving the quality of early education programs for children birth through age 8. Founded in 1926, NAEYC has nearly 80,000 members and a national network of more than 300 local, state, and regional Affiliates.
The Week of the Young Child™ is an annual celebration sponsored by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). The purpose of the Week of the Young Child™ is to focus public attention on the needs of young children and their families and to recognize the early childhood programs and services that meet those needs.